Skip to main content

Top 5 Wednesday: Fairly Local

 I'm from a really small town in Southwest VA. I can't think of any localish authors so for this Top 5 Wednesday I'm just going to do Virginia authors as a whole. Some may be a bit closer and others not so close.

1. Maggie Stiefvater

Would it be a list of VA authors if I didn't have her on this list. I finished The Raven Boys series this year and one thing I loved about it was that it was set in VA. It really had the small town VA vibes down to a T.

2. Ron Peterson Jr

He is a writer of True Crime books. His first book Under The Trestle was actually about a crime that took place in the county next to where I grew up and it was nice to see a book about that case as more people need to know about that case and the fact that Gina Hall's body was never found though her killer was the first person in VA history to get a conviction without the body. The book is also I think being turned into a documentary film.

3. Dlana Hall Bodmer

To go hand in hand with Ron I feel the need to mention Dlana. She is Gina's sister and has written her own book about her sister and her journey after her sister's death. I haven't read the book yet but I hope to soon.

4. Pamela K. Kinney

I love books about real life haunted places and Pamela writes just. Her books detail haunted places here in the state of VA and how fitting that I get to mention this in the month of October ;). I have only read one of her books so far but hope to get the others eventually and read them.

5. V.C. Andrews

I didn't know she was from VA until complying this list and how could I not include her. I love the book Flowers In The Attic though I do need to read the rest of the series eventually.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 5 Wednesday: Spoopy/Spooky Times

 For this Top 5 Wednesday the theme is Spoopy times and I'm kind of cheating here. Instead of just five books I am going to talk about seven books and also mention seven tv show episodes that are Halloween inspired or just give me those Halloween vibes and then to end it all I'm going to mention seven Halloween movies. Honestly, can you tell what my favorite Holiday is? 1. T-Witches Book Series by H.B. Gilmour and Randi Reisfeld I read this series in middle school and completely loved it. As an adult in my thirties I am rereading it and while not completely in love with it I do love some aspects. I mean twin girls who are witches it's amazing. It is a little outdated though since this book series is from the early 2000s. There were also two movie adaptations made based off these but I wasn't a big fan of them. 2. Salem's Lot by Stephen King This book scared the crap out of me during certain parts when I read it, especially as it winded down to the end. It's prob

Top 5 Wednesday: TL;DR

 I must admit I watch a lot of stuff before reading the books whether it be tv shows or movies that are based off books. I'm kind of a rule breaker in that way and while it isn't exactly Wednesday. Again there I go breaking rules I saw this post and thought it would be fun to try this. 1. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky I saw the movie version of this first and loved it so much that I knew I had to read the book. 2. Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling I watched all the movies during my childhood/teenage years but never once read the book series. It was only last year that I fully started reading the series. 3. Forrest Gump by Winston Groom I grew up in a family that watches this movie every time it comes on tv. It wasn't until this year that I realized it was also a book. 4. Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare I have probably seen every version of this movie that exists and yet I have not once read this book, not even in school. 5. A Christmas Carol by

When Celebrities Fall

To say that 2020 has been a crazy year is an understatement. Aside from the pandemic, there have been other issues like growing racial tensions, which have caused some of my favorite celebrities to fall victim to “cancel culture.” They were “canceled” mainly because they wouldn't disavow racism or show a true stance on Black Lives Matter. Some have also fallen victim because of their inability or unwillingness to apologize for old jokes they have made that had racist undertones. After all, in the day and age of the internet, anything you say or do lives on forever. One of the most shocking celebrities who fell victim to cancel culture this year was YouTuber Shane Dawson. He is one of my favorite YouTubers and for a long time he was popular. After the death of George Floyd and when people began protesting, viewers went back and looked at his past videos. They called out his use of blackface in videos along with certain jokes that he had made. Those jokes in my opinion were probabl